Sunday, January 25, 2009

Amish Cake

This cake is one of my favorites, because it is easy, and it always impresses. If you like coconut you have to try this cake, don't let the sour cream frosting scare you off, just try it. You will be grateful you did. I always use a box cake for this, but for those of who do everything from scratch, feel free to make your own cake, okay. Also, the photos do not do it justice, white on white on white doesn't make for a great picture, especially when the photographer is no good either.



Amish Cake
Recipe from my mom, who got it from Grandma Will in Indiana

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz sour cream (I used FF)
1 pkg coconut (5 1/2 cups)
2 cups of sugar
1 french vanilla cake mix, prepared as directed (I can't find french vanilla here in
CA, so I just use a white cake)

DIRECTIONS:

Mix together the coconut, sour cream and sugar and let sit in fridge for at least 12 hours!
Prepare cake according to directions on box and pour into two rounds (8 inch is best, but 9 inch works fine, you'll just have thinner layers)
After cake is cooled slice each round in half so you have two layers, ending up with four layers total.
Frost between each layer lightly, and then cover the whole cake. Refrigerate for another 12 hours, and then enjoy!

I make this frosting in the morning before I go to work, the cakes right when I get home from work, and then frost it all before I go to bed so it can be enjoyed the next day.


Happy 29th birthday to brent!

No comments: