Monday, August 18, 2008

Feels like home

While Fall is still a very distant thought here in sunny California (come to think of it, do they even have Fall here?), I am in the mood for something very homey and fallish,and very few things make me think more of home and the leaves changing colors and falling off of the tress than a roast cooking in the crock pot all day. I am really longing for a nice cool crisp day, it hasn't really been below 80 since we got married and moved here. I know some of you would kill for this weather, but it just isn't me. Shopping yesterday was so sad because there are so many beautiful coats coming out this year, and it will just never really get cold enough to wear one here. At least I will save myself the money by not having to buy one this year! Alright, enough of my pity party, on with the cooking!

This is such a classic recipe I don't even know where it came from, I only know it is how my mom and I have been making it forever, and it never lets me down. Since there are 2 of us and we never eat all of the roast, leftovers turn into French Dip sandwiches later in the week. Hope you enjoy, we always do!


Everything is in, now it is just time to slow cook

Crock Pot Roast

INGREDIENTS:
2 TB olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 3-4 pound roast
1 large onion, cut into rings
1 pound of cut carrots
8 red potatoes, washed and quartered
1 packet of onion soup mix dissolved in 1 cup of water

DIRECTIONS:
In frying pan heat oil and then brown roast on all sides, covering in a salt and pepper crust. This quick frying helps to seal in some of the juices and adds a nice little flavorful crust to your roast.
After greasing inside of crock pot, add cut carrots, quartered potatoes, and onion rings.
Place roast on top of vegetables and pour onion soup mix water over roast. Place lid on and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours. If roast is frozen, add 2-4 more hours to cook time.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

i love a good pot roast and this looks great! i make a similar recipe (From my mom too) except we also add one can of cream of mushroom soup :)