Monday, August 11, 2008

Quiche!



So Michael loves when I make quiche and was quite pleased with this one tonight, so here is the recipe I followed. I got the basis of it from Allrecipes, but I did deviate from it quite a bit (my deviations are included in the recipe). Don't be afraid to experiment with other fillings, this is a great base, change the cheese, vegetables, and meats as much as you would like. I also doubled the recipe and froze one after I baked them, just add about 10 minutes to cook time if you put them both in th oven. Next time I will use deep dish pie crusts, as I had some filling left over, and I will read the sausage label before I start, because the maple flavor was not quite right. Opps!! Oh yeah, and for the pie crust, I always use a frozen store bought one, I still haven't mastered pastries. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced

1 shallot diced
3 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup diced red peppers (I used a frozen medaly)
3 strips of bacon
3 oz sausage
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (9 inch) pie crust
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded



DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and sausage, cook until crispy and set aside. In same skillet add onion, shallot and peppers and saute until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, cream, basil, oregano, and pepper, add cheese.
Spoon the meat and pepper/onion mixture over bottom of uncooked pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over the onions.

Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center of the quiche comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

No comments: